The era I was doing basically consisted of two different time periods. These were made up of the Baroque and Rococo era and many changes occurred during this time, especially between fashion and architecture.
In my first initial idea, (since there were a lot of different things going on between these two time frames) I wanted to fuse together all elements of culture, fashion, and architecture from both eras into one big scene. However, this idea turned out to be too cluttered and became unreadable at some point, so in the very last minute I changed my idea.
In my final spread, I went crazy and included literally everything from this time period. I made the borders around the spread based on the idea where after the 1500s ended, there was a whole excessive stock of fonts and ornaments and people reused those to create books. I even went as far as nearly the end of the period where they were using display typefaces for their posters (I wanted to somehow incorporate that into my title). Now, literally scrapping my old idea, I decided to place fashion from both era next to each other and talk about their differences (the same goes with architecture). As well, I decided to incorporate the colour palettes of the specific time periods behind the text, but at the same time I wanted to give the effect or feeling of watercolour since I wanted to capture an essence from “The Book of Thel.”
Overall, I have to be honest and say that I wasn’t very satisfied with the overall layout. I totally scrapped my idea last minute when I had already spent so much time on it. I feel like I could have done more with this spread but at the same time I felt a constrained pressure to fit everything in but make everything look like it was from that specific time period. Therefore, I would give myself a 7.5/10.